2014 Constitution Day Essay Contest
1st Place - Aidan Nelson, BAK Middle Schools of the Arts
2nd Place - Dovid Zak, Hillel Day School of Boca Raton
3rd Place - Paxton Brutus, Tradewinds Middle School
- Nicole Marvez, Western Pines Middle School
- Carly Swanson, Western Pines Middle School
- Savannan Linares, Western Pines Middle School
- Jacqueline Zimmerman, Hillel Day School of Boca Raton
- Kelsey Morrison, Western Pines Middle School
- The contest is open to all middle school students in Palm Beach County, i.e., 6th, 7th and 8th graders.
- Essays must be 500 words or less, neatly handwritten or typewritten.
- Essays must respond to the Essay Question posed below and be submitted on or before Tuesday, September 9, 2014 to: Essay Contest, c/o McCabe Rabin, P.A., 1601 Forum Place, Suite 505, West Palm Beach, FL 33401 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Essays will be judged on argument, clarity and persuasiveness.
- Please include the student's name, school, teacher and contact information on each essay so winners can be notified.
- The first place winner will receive $250.
- Second place will receive $150.
- Third place will receive $100.
In addition, all winners and families are invited to attend our “America Reads the Constitution” event on Monday, September 15, 2014 from 5:30 PM to 8:00 PM at West Palm Beach Marriott, 1001 Okeechobee Blvd., West Palm Beach. We will have a group of 40 elected officials and distinguished citizens read the text of the Constitution in a public forum.
The first place winner will also be invited to read the Preamble (the “We the people” part) at our event!Essay Question
What role do judges play in protecting rights set forth in the Bill of Rights? In your answer, please specifically address one or more of the rights set forth in the Bill of Rights as an example.